Great Ways to Honor Our Soldiers on Memorial Day Weekend
Many people see Memorial Day weekend as a kick-off to summer. It also holds an important part of remembrance and our countries history. At Adam’s Severna Park, we want to celebrate the privileges we have while paying respects to those who fought so hard for our freedom. So if you are looking for a way to honor our soldiers on Memorial Day weekend, here are some great ways to do just that:
Staying close to home? Make the 20-minute drive into Maryland’s capital city, Annapolis. There you can:
- Visit the World War II Memorial, overlooking the beautiful Severn River and U.S. Naval Academy. Pay tribute to the 6,454 Marylanders who died in World War II in the rectangular amphitheater.
- Place flowers and flags on the soldiers’ graves at Annapolis National Cemetery. It’s open daily from sunrise to sunset. Annapolis was one of the 14 national cemeteries established by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862.
- Watch the Annapolis Memorial Day Parade make its way through West Street and City Dock on May 27th. It’s a great way to have fun while paying tribute. And, it will be followed by an annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Susan Campbell Park.
Family-Friendly Activities in Baltimore
Baltimore is a quick 30-minute drive north. And, as a key player in America’s history, the city has much to offer for Memorial Day Weekend. Take this opportunity to learn about the Battle of Baltimore and the country’s rich naval military history. Not to mention, you can gather the whole family and also:
- Attend the Dulaney Valley Memorial Day Ceremony to honor the sacrifices of Marylander soldiers. There will be a keynote speaker and music from the Maryland Army National Guard.
- Explore history and culture at the Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. Enjoy museums, tours, and outdoor activities for people of all ages.
- Tour the fleet of historic battleships in the Baltimore harbor. Explore four military ships and a lighthouse exhibit from the mid-19th century to the mid-1980s. Overall, see what life was like at sea for the crew!
Make it a Day Trip to D.C.
D.C. is the place to be on May 27th. The best part? It’s only 45 minutes away from home. Therefore, not only are there plenty of historical monuments to see, but there are also many major events taking place. Here are some ways to remember the country’s brave men and women:
Attend the service at the Arlington National Cemetery. There will be an observance ceremony, a wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and more.
- Experience the National Memorial Day Parade: It’s the largest Memorial Day parade in the country. The parade is set to feature marching bands, floats, veterans and more. So, come honor the fallen men and women who served from The American Revolution through Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Pay respects at the city’s many statues and shrines. Specifically, The National World War II Memorial and the Iwo Jima Memorial are must-see stops for viewing symbols of America’s triumphs.
May 27th is a big day. We look forward to remembering past and present military men and women who gave their lives for our country. Additionally, Memorial Day weekend kicks off the summer season as well. So, whether you decide to stay in Severna Park or travel to a nearby city, there are plenty of ways to pay tribute to our fallen. From everyone at Adam’s, we thank all those who sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for our great country. Have a great Memorial Day weekend and stay safe.